On April 15th Telligent released Community Server 2008. Community Server is the platform that powers communities for the likes of Electronic Arts, Microsoft, Dell and the MySpace.com forums and is the platform of choice for thousands of community implementations.
In addition to the new release a new site now accompanies the release. The base URL has shifted from communityserver.org now to communityserver.com.
Community Server 2008 features some significant additions to an already robust platform.
Some of the new features include:
- Groups/Social circles (Think micro-communities)
- Enterprise Reporting & Analytics with the new Harvest Reporting Server
- SharePoint integration (This is big!!!)
- A full Web Services stack
- Social Streams (Activity Feeds)
- Media Galleries that can easily share content published within the community or external sources
- Enterprise File Storage
- Widgets, widgets and more widgets
- OpenID support
- As well as enhancements to the blogs and forums applications as well as a revamp of the control panel
Community Server 2008 is the best integrated social networking/community platform available. Not only from a feature and technology standpoint, but also based on Telligent’s investment in reporting and analytics.
As I have mentioned before one of the biggest barriers to implementing a social networking solution is the lack of consistent metrics. With Harvest Reporting Server we have taken a major step in providing a model to assist in the calculation of ROI around community.
Definitely give it a go. You can download the free express edition here.