For those of us who follow all things Apple, today’s event in San Francisco is the focus of the day. With the upcoming release of the iPhone5, millions of iPhone users will be upgrading to the new device.
Apple just announced that the iPhone5 will be available for pre-order on 9-14 and will ship/be available on 9-21.
Here is a quick rundown of what’s available with the upcoming release:
- The form factor is thinner (18%) and lighter (20%) with a panoramic screen with higher resolution
- Aluminum body with a glass screen, supposedly the thinnest smartphone on the market and once again will be available in Black & White
- Speed increases immensely based on the new A6 processor, which Apple claims is 2x faster than the 4S
- iPhone5 will support LTE connectivity, which will add speed increases to the 4S
- iPhone5 will have a dual channel 5GHz Wi-Fi
- The screen is 16:9 with a 4 inch panoramic screen with it’s touchscreen sensor built into the display
- Increased battery life – 8 hours 3G, 8 hours LTE browsing
- Camera updates – 5 element lens, 8 megapixel with panorama mode
- Video face detection – improved image stabilization with the ability to tag people automatically in videos
- 3 Microphones – Front, Back & Bottom which should improve voice calls
- One of the more controversial elements is the new Lightning connector, which replaces the current 30 pin connector that we all have across generations and are moving towards an 8 pin connector
- iOS 6 launches on the 19th of September
Will you be upgrading to the iPhone5?
Follow Tom Edwards @BlackFin360