On February 10th I was a part of a Media Post panel discussing the Internet of Things and how beacons can be leveraged by brands to create value.
The discussion focused on going beyond the beacon trigger and creating new models of in-store creative advertising that connect physical to digital. We touched on strategy, creative, technology and best practices.
Here is a quick breakdown of topics I address:
- Introduction – The Marketing Arm – 1:22-1:53
- Dealing with complexity of omnichannel – 2:36-3:58
- Deeper dive into beacon deployment – 3:58-6:24
- Creating something new – 11:07-13:00
- Program Case Study – 14:47-17:43
- Internal Agency Relationships – 25:38-27:12
- Database of You – 32:32-33:25
- Content – 36:24-38:22
- Future State – 41:14-42:16
- Leveraging Data – 49:02-49:41
Here is the formal description of the panel.
Advertising on the relatively small smartphone screen has hardly been a hit to date. Once initiated by a beacon signal, what creative will work best? What is the role of post-beaconing, such as sending ad messaging well after leaving a store? What about using past beaconing knowledge to drive foot traffic back to a store? What are consumer expectations from in-store engagements? What future creative options might be used to catch the shopper’s eye? Three creative minds discuss the best beacon-triggered creative approaches for in-store mobile marketing and mobile advertising.
The panel consisted of:
Ian Beacraft (Moderator), Manager, New and Emerging Technologies, Leo Burnett @ianbcraft
Ben Murphy, Director of Technology, FCB Chicago
Scott Varland, Creative Director, IPG Media Lab @scottiev
Tom Edwards, EVP Digital Strategy & Innovation, The Marketing Arm
Follow Tom Edwards @BlackFin360