Over the years, Tom Edwards of BlackFin360 has discussed the role of emerging technology and how it intersects with consumer behavior through many media outlets. Below is an aggregated list of previous discussions, interviews, and podcasts.
EPISODE #24 – VIRTUALLY SPEAKING (Interview) – Online (November 2020)
I have enjoyed working with Cal Entertainment founder Chris Lee for years as I am an exclusive speaker for Cal Entertainment. We sit down for a fun discussion that covers a lot of ground. We talk about trends across data, AI, gaming, spatial computing, new form factors beyond mobile, as well as some fun with Funko Pops.
1:48 – Introduction and opening statements tied to trends.
3:05 – Creating experiences that go beyond desktop and mobile.
4:10 – Tour of Matrix-inspired office.
4:42 – Awards & BlackFin360.
7:12 – Voice ecosystem and thoughts on Google, Amazon, and Apple.
8:24 – Discuss virtual proxies & how assistants will evolve.
12:00 – How should business leaders think about integrating tech and trends into their existing business with a focus on value creation.
12:50 – The new 4 Ps to consider for marketers.
14:50 – What about small business owners? What do they need to look at?
18:36 – How to apply AI & Machine learning to understand affinities and behaviors.
19:44 – Thoughts on ownership of data.
20:17 – The role of AI & it’s not the enemy via the Pixar Theory
24:15 – Digital Simulation.
25:50 – What about search beyond desktop & mobile? The role of the Google knowledge graph.
27:06 – Moving beyond mobile devices & the rise of smart glasses.
28:14 – Smart contacts are the future.
30:10 – The rise of gaming & how to align with business.
31:55 – What brands should be in gaming?
35:00 – Creating authentic connections.
37:48 – Digital twins & the proxy twin hypothesis.
41:08 – Forecasting trends.
42:18 – Data, experiences, ethics.
45:20 – Blockchain & Industries like Healthcare, Financial Services.
46:55 – Digital rights management
47:30 – Closing thoughts
2020 IMMERSIVE TECH DIGITAL SUMMIT – INNOVATION TO REALITY (KEYNOTE) – India (September 2020)
I recently had the opportunity to speak to an amazing Indian audience during the Immersive Tech Digital Summit. I delivered an updated version of the Innovation To Reality Keynote while also leading an augmented reality workshop.
EPISODE #44 – THE E-COMMERCE BUSINESS PODCAST (Interview) – Online (Septebmer 2020)
Futurist Tom Edwards recently joined Jonathan Lewis Trembley, Founder of Gretrix, and host of the E-commerce Business Podcast to discuss the latest trends in e-commerce. From applications of AI, dynamic product descriptions, to the role of gaming. Check out the six-minute interview.
2020 GLOBAL TELCO FORUM – INNOVATION TO REALITY (Featured Speaker – Virtual Discussion) – Online (September 2020)
I recently had the opportunity to join an amazing lineup of speakers for the 2020 Telco Global Forum. It was a great event and I wanted to share a snippet of my Innovation to Reality discussion with Leo Clifford, the Telco Global Forum founder.
BUSINESS ACCESS PODCAST EPISODE 15 – W/THIAGO DESOUZA – MARKETING, TECHNOLOGY, DATA, INNOVATION, GAMING DISCUSSION (Virtual Discussion) – Online (July 2020)
I recently had the opportunity to join Thiago Desouza on his Business Access Podcast. We had an incredibly in-depth conversation across a variety of topics. From passions that have driven my career, technology, and marketing impact post-pandemic, gaming, GenZ, generational gaps, and the future of consumer experience. Timestamps and topics here.
1:25 – Tom Edwards Career Overview
- Smooth Fusion (Microsoft)
- Telligent (Electronic Arts)
- INgage Networks (Chief Marketing Officer)
- Omnicom (Strategy Leader – Red Urban, The Marketing Arm)
- Epsilon (Chief Digital & Innovation Officer)
- Tripleclix (Chief Marketing Officer)
2:50 – Discussing Core Passions
- Star Wars & the droids and how the technology-enabled the adventures
- Gaming in the 1980s
- 90’s Computer Hardware
- Marketing, Technology, Gaming are core passions
4:10 – Where are we today technology wise compared to Star Wars?
- No longer disruption as a new normal
- All about convergence, AI, predictive decisioning, virtual assistant proxies, simulation at scale
6:15 – How does it feel when you create a pathway to success for a client?
- Love to align technology + consumer experience hits a cultural inflection point
- EA Skate example. The first instance of in-game content posted to the web in the mid-2000s
- Discuss Data & AI work while at Epsilon
- Goes well beyond a transaction, it’s about creating value as a partner
8:30 – Discuss Professional Speaking & Innovation to Reality
- How technology will evolve and how we will move from the mobile device to our environment adapting to us through the lens of pop-culture
- Empower – technology that enables consumers
- Exponential – intelligent systems
- Enhance – proxies to full simulation
- Discuss GenZ, gaming, expectations of technology and how experiences are evolving
11:00 – How do you feel technology is going to advance post COVID pandemic?
- Less about a single use case and application, and more about how technology enables work that isn’t in a physical location
- New consumer decision journey… Disruption, Acceptance, What’s next
- Acceleration of work from anywhere, have worked remotely for over 5 years
- Sparks of inspiration occur at different times of the day.
14:33 – What can businesses do and where should they focus post pandemic?
- Focus on core consumer needs
- Reflect & reset corporate strategy, especially digitally
- The role that data plays
- Developing new capabilities
- Forecast demand by geography & audience segments
- Discuss the cycle of demand
- What’s next… How does physical retail compete with online?
18:00 – Communication, Communication, Communication is vital…
- Maintaining communication and connection is key
- 71% of consumers stated if brands put profit over people they would lose faith in the brand forever
- It’s important to communicate, but also how are you easing disruption
- Content strategy, building it around how creating value, balance selling vs. supporting
- Reacting vs. strategically planning
21:30 – How have international businesses been responding?
- US quantity based
- Bolivia case study/hand sanitizer example
23:00 – Across industries, what techniques and methods work well broadly?
- Mapped career against the rising flow of technology & culture
- Mid 2000’s social computing
- Then consumer social strategy
- Data & AI
- Next is gaming…
26:15 – Generational Gap & Gaming
29:00 – Experiences like Pokémon Go prep future adoption
- Training a generation
- GenZ expectations of technology & behaviors such as mixing reality is becoming second nature
30:30 – What happened to Google Glass? What’s next?
- Was an early adopter
- When it initially launched we weren’t in the midst of a creator society
- It was also about form factor… looking at patents and future tech, look and feel will be extensions of style
- Apple, Samsung, and others will move us towards a smart contact
- Ubiquitous tech + constant connectivity via 5G will drive adoption of new form factors
33:30 – If a client/business asks how can I make it happen?
- Not enough time spent on the behavioral side
- Single persona vs. affinity iterations & personality types
- How does that come together and finding the right levers to connect with individuals in a meaningful way
- Easier to look at it from a media perspective vs. using AI as a driver to truly differentiate the experience via structured & unstructured data
- Esports sponsorship… “Marketing with to games is fine, but connecting authentically is a different approach” – Chris Erb.
36:55 – The role of personal branding
- The accelerator of success was my blog… 500 posts later, how you think, what you have done, and having a content repository is key
GIFTERS PODCAST EPISODE 800 – W/CHRISTOPHER KAI – DATA & INNOVATION DISCUSSION (Virtual Discussion) – Online (July, 2020)
I recently had the opportunity to join Christopher Kai on his Gifters Podcast. This is episode 800 of his show and we dive into a number of topics in twelve minutes. From what is a futurist, why emerging tech, data strategy, recommendations for business post COVID, and innovation.
C-SUITE NETWORK – ALL BUSINESS SHOW TOM EDWARDS INTERVIEW W/JEFFREY HAYZLETT (Virtual Discussion) – Online (May, 2020)
I had the distinct pleasure to join Jeffrey Hayzlett on the All Business show. We had a great conversation discussing topics such as marketing and advertising shifts due to COVID19, shifts in consumer behavior, adaptive digital strategy, the role of AI, gaming + marketing, connecting with GenZ, emerging technology, and 2020 trends.
1:30 – Discuss how brands (w/ examples) are shifting marketing and advertising due to COVID19?
8:00 – Discuss how the consumer decision journey has evolved for everyone.
12:00 – Discuss gaming + marketing = Tripleclix.
15:30 – Discuss behaviors that impact technology adoption.
18:10 – Thoughts on marketers attending live events in 2020.
19:40 – Technologies that lead us into the near future.
The audio podcast version just posted as well via All Business Show.
V12 – DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION, BRAND MARKETING & COVID – Part II (Virtual Discussion) – Online (May, 2020)
I recently had the opportunity to discuss how to thrive in the time of COVID-19 from brand marketing, digital transformation, research on consumer behavior, and more.
V12 – DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION, BRAND MARKETING & COVID (Virtual Discussion Part 1) – Online (April 2020)
This is the first part of a discussion with Andy Frawley, CEO @ V12, & Anders Ekman, President @ V12. This discussion focuses on how channels have shifted due to the pandemic. Upcoming discussions will focus on how to market during this time and ultimately, how to recover.
Futurithmic – ( Podcast Interview) – Experiential Computing, 5G, AI & more. Tech titan Tom Edwards of BlackFin360 talks about how the blurring of the lines between technology and culture is only going to grow as AI, AR, and 5G become embedded in our physical spaces to replace our smartphones.
Connecting the dots of the technology of today with the future of tomorrow. Here are the timestamps for key topics discussed.
1:38 – Tech Titan Advocacy Award
2:01 – Experience Driven Culture
2:55 – Shift Towards Multi-modal & Enhancing Mobility
4:05 – Ambient Computing
4:50 – GenZs Impact on Emerging Technology
5:50 – Expectations of Technology & Adoption of AI
8:05 – Virtual Assistant as a Preference Center, Rise of the Proxy Web
10:15 – Consumer Choice vs. Ease & Convenience
11:30 – Smart Glasses Adoption
13:00 – Benefits of 5G Connectivity
15:15 – Use cases for combining 5G + AI + AR = Proxy Twin Hypothesis
17:45 – Volumetric Capture
19:40 – 5G & Artificial Intelligence = Edge Computing & Edge Analytics
23:40 – 3 Types of AI
24:30 – Intelligence Augmentation & Predictive Decisioning
26:30 – The Future… Privacy, Presence, Commerce, Enhancing Experiences
29:15 – Gaming, Esports, & Technology Adoption, Interaction Economy
NEXT-GEN NINJA SHOW – (On-camera Interview) JUNE 2019 – I recently had the opportunity to join the NextGen Ninja Show. Host Kory Farooquie and I discuss a number of topics from data, humans over hype, humans vs. AI, dealing with disruption, GenZ, the future and more.
TRIPLECLIX – (Podcast Interview) April 2019 – I was recently in LA and sat down with Chris Erb, founder of TripleClix, an amazing boutique video game marketing agency. I have known Chris for almost a decade and we have collaborated on a lot of fun programs over the years. Episode #1!!!
CBSi – ZDNet Interview (February 2019, Recorded January 2019). 2019 Trends
BeTheTalk – (Podcast Interview) – Online (November 2018) Discuss TEDx topic, Future of technology and tips for delivering a major presentation.
AI TODAY – ( Podcast Interview) – Episode 50 – Enhancing Experiences with AI Interview
0:48 – Introduction
1:33 – Recap of Keynote topic at Amazon Alexa Voice Summit
2:53 – Discuss why we are in the “golden age of AI”
4:20 – Discuss The Pixar Theory and Artificial Intelligence
7:00 – Why predictive experiences are key for mass adoption of AI
9:00 – Discuss Gen Z & expectations of experiences
9:37 – How Epsilon Agency is using artificial intelligence
13:25 – What is the future of artificial intelligence?
VOICE SUMMIT 2018 – (Keynote & Interview) – Newark, New Jersey (July 24-26th, 2018) Evolution of Experience
CBSi – ZDNet Interview (March, 2018, Recorded January 2018). Humanizing Artificial Intelligence
TEDx Oaklawn (Words Of Mass Disruption Interview) Dallas, Texas (March 17th, 2018) Caught up with the Words of Mass Disruption podcast team after my set at TEDx Oaklawn.
Words of Mass Disruption Podcast: EP 119 (January 2018) Tom Edwards on Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning
Words of Mass Disruption Podcast: EP 120 (January 2018) Tom Edwards on Personal Branding vs. Corporate branding and 4 steps to a better digital you.
Up or Out Podcast – (2017) Disruption is the New Normal
C-Suite Network Conference – San Francisco, CA (2016): Discussing Connection, Cognition & Immersion (CLICK IMAGE FOR RECORDED VIDEO)
iMedia Agency Marketer of the Year Nominee Interview (2014)